Saturday, April 5, 2008

Not Working Together

On Thursday I wanted the students to work together on a science worksheet, so I made groups randomly (sometimes I let the students pick their groups, sometimes I assign them deliberately, and sometimes I choose them randomly). It just so happened that the two boys in the class ended up in the same group. I was making three groups of three, which meant that one girl had to work with the boys. And randomly the quietest, shyest girl ended up in their group!

I looked over and tears just started rolling down her cheeks! It was awful! I knew she wasn't being mean, she was just upset at being singled out. But what could I do?! I've made a big deal all year about how we all need to work with everyone.

And then all of a sudden, AM says, "I'll switch with you." I was so proud of her. It was a really mature thing to do. Now, technically I shouldn't have let them switch because the whole point is that they are supposed to work with each other, but I was so impressed with her offer and the other girl was clearly so incapable of pulling herself together (silent crying is the worst because you know it's not for show) that I let them. And everything went fine - in fact, it was the best group work they've done in a while! But I hate making my kids cry!

No comments: